Bathrooms: functional, efficient and luxurious.
There is no disputing that functionality is a must for bathrooms. Elevating a bathroom from a functional space to one that creates a luxurious retreat and provides efficiency satisfies the needs of discerning homeowners.
There are many considerations that can make a bathroom functional, efficient and luxurious including the following:
- Space. The room should be well thought out and planned for individual or multiple users be they guests, children or adults, and include consideration for multiple sinks, privacy areas, storage, lighting, and accessibility.
- Storage. Storage solutions are highly custom and can provide function for any need including linen cabinets, make-up, appliance and toiletry drawers, hampers, refrigeration compartments for cosmetics and prescriptions.
- Lighting. Task lighting for hygiene and grooming.
- Mirrors. Regular, full sized and magnified.
- Electrical. Outlets for appliances such as shavers, hair dryers, flat irons, etc.
- Environmental. Fans that clear humidity and odours.
- Accessibility. No-threshold showers, shower seats, raised toilets, grip bars, counter height, flooring transitions.
And of course the basic plumbing fixtures required for hygiene and waste removal!
- Water efficiency: high efficiency faucets and showers, low flow or dual flush toilets, Water Sense
- Energy efficiency: heated floors, drain water heat recovery, LED lighting, dimmer switchers, fans, timers,
- Maintenance efficiency: finishes should be easy to clean, water resistance and durable
Luxury, tranquility, spa, serenity, oasis and retreat are all used to describe bathrooms that go beyond functional and efficient. There are a myriad of ways to personalize luxury in the bathrooms:
- Design: colours, textures, materials and style
- Sensory: mood lighting, chromatherapy (use of coloured lights), aromatherapy (use of essential oils), audio, video, steam, hydrotherapy (water jets, pulses, body sprays and rain heads), sauna, heat
Bath fixtures today provide a range of design and sensory options in addition to the following:
- Tubs options: soaker, jetted, bubble, infinity, freestanding
- Shower options: Wall and ceiling mounts, pressure balance, thermostatic control, walk-in, seats
- Toilet options: deodorizers, heated seats, self-closing, bidet, air dryer, night lights, touchless, self-cleaning, temperature control
- Sink options: undermount, bowl, freestanding, wall-hung, rimmed
- Faucet options: waterfall, widespread, single hole, wall mount, deck mount, floor mount, centerset,
The ability to indulge your senses and meet your basic needs all comes together in the bathroom; a space that can be your personal sanctuary.